The Department of Hydrology and Atmospheric Sciences recognizes that diversity is essential to its mission. We are committed to promoting and supporting diversity and inclusion in our research, educational and service missions to meet the needs of the students, faculty, staff and the communities we serve.
We believe diversity at the Department of Hydrology and Atmospheric Sciences creates role models, broadens perspectives, combats negative stereotyping, and optimizes our ability to provide services for all. We also believe the quality of research and outreach is significantly improved when we have individuals from diverse backgrounds and insight. We define diversity broadly and we value variety in life experiences and circumstances. Differences include but are not limited to race, ethnicity, gender, sex, age, religion, language, disabilities, socioeconomic status, educational backgrounds, and geographic region.
Hydrology and Atmospheric Science provides numerous opportunities for collaboration globally, regionally, and locally. We strive to actively work toward a culture of inclusion in all aspects of our work which also promotes research and improves how we serve our community.
Our department recognizes there are systemic and cultural barriers currently in place that prevent minoritized individuals from a thriving career in Hydrology and Atmospheric Sciences and it is our mission to instead foster a culture of success.
To support these efforts, HAS has formed a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee with the following goals:
- Becoming aware of unconscious/unintentional bias and internalized prejudice based on social characteristics and creating a safe, trusted environment to discuss and hold each accountable for the change to root out any traces of unconscious bias.
- Raising self-awareness of one’s own background and self-identifying how perceptions and attitudes towards others formed over time and consciously working to accept and understand people who have had different experiences based on their race, color, religion, sex/gender, national origin, age and sexual orientation.
- Strengthening HAS through DEI by promoting and accepting different experiences and knowledge which can help the department and its employees to operate as successfully and collaboratively as possible.
Ultimately, as a department with global reach, we seek to develop a sustainable department that reflects all the individuals we serve by:
- Seeking to recognize, recruit, retain and promote diverse talents
- Seeking to provide diverse members of our department with paths for advancement and success
- Working to ensure that HAS, in all programs involving staff and/or students and/or faculty, provides a welcoming, safe, and collaborative environment for people of all backgrounds to help them reach their maximum potential
- Working to foster an organization that respects and values all individuals in the department by recognizing and understanding the variety of experiences
- Cultivating science within the community on multiple scales, including local, to encourage the next generation of scientists
Additional University Resources:
University of Arizona Diversity and Inclusion Task Force
University of Arizona College of Science Diversity, Equity & Inclusion