Up-to-date photo coming soon!
Photo: HAS Advisory Board Members
2019-2020 Current Members & Professional Affiliations
Charlie Ester, III - Salt River Project
Karl Gast - Raytheon
John McCartney - Barrick Gold Corporation
Peter Mock - Peter Mock Groundwater Consulting, Inc.
Ursula Nelson - Pima County Department of Environmental Qualtiy
Peter Quinlan - Board Chair - Vice President, Dudek, Inc.
Marty Ralph - Scripps Institution of Oceanography UCSD
James Strock - Serve to Lead Group
Amber Sullins - Board Vice-Chair - ABC 15 News Phoenix
David F. Young - NASA Langley Research Center
Our Purpose top
The Advisory Board's primary purpose is to provide advice and counsel to the Department of Hydrology and Atmospheric Sciences (HAS) that encourages excellence and success in its programs of teaching, research, and service.
Advisory Board Bylaws approved April 4, 2016
Recent activities included the crowdfunding campaign for the UA Innovative Spaces for Learning and Engagement (ISLE) "matching funds" grant program AKA Harshbarger 110 Renovation! Read about More Current Activities here.
- August 23, 2019 -- The crowdfunding campaign has ended. We did it! You've helped us raise $102,895 for the Harshbarger 110 Classroom Renovation!
- August 22, 2019 -- The crowdfunding goal has been met--and surpassed! With your help, we have raised over $100,000 one day early!
- July 10, 2019 -- Let the crowdfunding begin! Email letter from Eric Betterton announcing crowdfunding campaign to alumni and friends
- July 10, 2019 -- Let the crowdfunding begin! Facebook post: "We need a modern classroom..." announcing launch of the crowdfunding campaign
- January 8, 2019 -- Success! The HAS ISLE matching funds grant proposal ($50,870) submitted to the UA Academic Affairs office has been awarded for renovation of the JW Harshbarger computer laboratory (room 110). Let the fundraising begin!
- December 2018 -- First appeal (pre-award) by email letter to alumni
- November 30, 2018 -- HAS ISLE proposal submitted to UA Office of Academic Affairs by PI Martha P.L. Whitaker, HAS Associate Professor of Practice
- October-November 2018 -- Draft of renovation estimation budget with Facilities Management (including ADA requirements) for the HAS ISLE proposal, grant writing/feedback/revision, and faculty discussion and commitment to achieve 100% certification in collaborative learning pedagogy
Board Responsibilities and Guidelines top
The Department of Hydrology and Atmospheric Sciences recognizes the value and importance of involving external stakeholders from appropriate fields in the development, delivery, and promotion of its programs through an external advisory board. Members participate in meetings, conference calls, task teams and other activities to the fullest extent possible. They identify, articulate and prioritize the issues, topics and challenges facing HAS; they share experiences, expertise and contacts; and they serve as a HAS ambassadors. HAS external advisory board members wear the HAS hat.