GRADUATE ASSISTANTSHIPS-ASSOCIATESHIPS Assistantships (Masters students) and Associateships (Doctoral students) are awarded through contracts for the Academic Year (fall/spring) or Semester (fall or spring) and must be re-newed annually. Refer to the terms of the original Letter of Offer or your major's degree program handbook. Individual faculty members and research scientists affiliated with the department provide these opportunities; the department administration does not have assistantship opportunities to support student stipends/salaries. The official Letter of Offer outlines the terms and the period covered by the award, Academic Year or specific Semester.
- If you want to be hired (new hire or re-hire) as a Graduate Assistant in Teaching or Research, you must apply annually. Positions are not automatically renewed. To be eligible, you must be in Good Academic Standing and making satisfactory academic progress. See your current faculty advisor or supervisor regarding new or continued funding requests. All positions are part-time hires. Students are not permitted to work full-time during the Academic Year (fall/spring semesters).
- In most cases, students hired at 0.25 FTE or 0.33 FTE* (quarter-time and third-time positions) receive a salary-stipend and full student health insurance coverage for the period of hire and a tuition scholarship covering 50% of the resident tuition fee. If you are not an Arizona resident, the Graduate College provides a full waiver (full scholarship) covering 100% of the non-resident tuition fee. Items not covered by the assistantship/associateship hire include Mandatory Miscellaneous Fees, Special Course Fees, and similar Bursar fees. Refer to the Notice of Appointment contract for full details. *FTE = Percentage hire based on a Full Time Equivalent salary
- In most cases, students hired at 0.50 FTE* (half-time positions) receive a salary-stipend and full student health insurance coverage for the period of hire and a tuition scholarship covering 100% of the resident tuition fee. If you are not an Arizona resident, the Graduate College provides a full waiver (full scholarship) covering the non-resident tuition fee. Items not covered by the assistantship/associateship hire include Mandatory Miscellaneous Fees, Special Course Fees, and similar Bursar fees. Please refer to the Notice of Appointment contract document for full hiring details. *FTE = Percentage hire based on a Full Time Equivalent salary
DEPARTMENTAL TUITION SCHOLARSHIP AWARDS FOR AY 2019-2020 top The department has limited funding (small awards) for the Fall Semester 2019 and Spring Semester 2020 for partial tuition scholarships (typical range $1000-2500) and partial fellowship awards (typical range $500-$1000) for eligible students currently enrolled in the Department of Hydrology and Atmospheric Sciences. The minimum award is valued at $500; no specific amounts are guaranteed from semester to semester or year to year.
HOW THEY WORK: Tuition scholarships will be applied only to resident or non-resident fees. Fellowship funds may be used to pay mandatory miscellaneous fees, student health insurance premium, special course fees for lab or field courses, and similar charges on the student bursar account. Students may also request fellowship funds for travel to conferences (travel, conference registration, per diem, etc.).
- The department does not have funding to provide a full stipend to cover the cost of living for a semester/academic year or a full 100% tuition award to cover both the resident and non-resident fees.
- Please do not request a full maximum-value award (e.g. $15,000 for both resident and non-resident tuition fees), or you increase your risk of receiving no award.
- If you will receive financial aid through the Office of Student Financial Aid (e.g. subsidized loans), please provide information on the form when describing all sources of funding.
DEADLINE: Application deadline in late summer (to be announced) for Fall 2019-Spring 2020 to receive awards prior to the first day of classes for Fall Semester 2019. If additional funds are available for Spring Semester 2020, a second call for applications will occur near the end of the fall semester.
ENDOWED SHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES FOR AY 2020-2021 top
The following scholarships for Academic Year 2020-2021 will be available to students enrolled in the Department of Hydrology and Atmospheric Sciences who meet specific eligibility requirements (requirements may vary).
DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted in January 2020 (deadline to be announced) and winners announced in late spring.
PERIOD OF AWARD: Awards will be disbursed during the subsequent Academic Year (Fall 2020 and Spring 2021) to continuing students. If you will graduate in the Spring Semester 2020 or Summer Terms 2020, do not apply for these awards. If it is determined that you will complete degree requirements prior to AY2020-2021, you will become ineligible and your application withdrawn from consideration.
- Donald R. Davis Scholarship Endowment for Undergraduate Excellence
- Eugene S. Simpson Undergraduate or Graduate Student in Groundwater Hydrology
- John W. Harshbarger Doctoral Fellowship in Subsurface Hydrology
- John W. Harshbarger Memorial Fund
- Chester C. Kisiel Fellowship for Graduate Research on Applications of Statistics in Hydrology
- E. Philip Krider Endowed Undergraduate or Graduate Scholarship in Atmospheric Sciences
- Sol D. Resnick Scholarship for Graduate Research Programs in Hydrology
APPLICATION: Please go to the On-Line Application at HAS Endowed Scholarship Application. You will be able to upload the following information online:
- Statement of career plans, explanation of financial needs and other relevant information (1-page maximum) -- see note above regarding "maximum award" requests
- CV or resume (2-page maximum)
- ALL GRADUATE STUDENTS: GradPath forms must be up-to-date; if not, see your advisor immediately.
- DOMESTIC STUDENTS ONLY: Must submit the FAFSA (it must be on file with the UA) -- Go to https://fafsa.ed.gov/ for details
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ONLY: Must complete the UA International Financial Need FY 18-19 Form and provide supporting documents as listed
If you have any questions, please contact Lupe Romero, Administrative Associate and Graduate Coordinator, at 520-621-6831.