The annual Graduate and Professional Student Council (GPSC) Student Showcase celebrating undergraduate and graduate student research will be held on the UA Mall in front of the Student Union on February 13, 2019. The event begins at 9 am and ends at 3 pm.
In 2016, more than 120 students participated and over $15,000 in awards and prizes* were given out. These ranged from $1,000 for the President's Award to $125 for second place finishers in the individual categories. Categories for 2019 include the following. Note that the categories are topic dependent and not college-, school-, or major-specific.
- Communication and Expression
- Research that involves compilation, analysis, and manipulation of data, ideas, and/or methods of sharing information (e.g. media, citizen science, pedagogy)
- Community, Culture, and Society
- Research regarding social, economic, cultural, and/or political issues (e.g. community initiatives, language development, social justice, public policy)
- Technology and Innovation
- Research producing advancements or novel technologies or entrepreneurial endeavors. May incorporate engineering of devices or utilize digital/computer technologies (e.g. app development, software/hardware, digital humanities, innovative startups)
- Human Health
- Research impacting the well-being of humans at the individual, community, and global levels (e.g. healthcare policy, mental health developments, medical devices, insetts as a form of protein)
- Environmental Impact
- Research confronting environmental issues and concerns, anywhere on the local to global spectrum (e.g. sustainability projects, natural disasters, pollution mitigation)
Registration opens October 31, 2018, and ends January 5, 2019. See the GPSC website for application and other details.
*UA awards available for 2019 include: Graduate President's Awards for each category ($600), Graduate Category Runners-up ($400), Undergraduate President's Awards for each category ($600), and Undergraduate Category Runners-up ($400). External prizes include the American Chemical Society Women's Chemist Group Award ($200, $100), Honors College Awards for Honors Student Best Research Project ($500), Honors Student Social Responsibility Award ($500), Honors Student health and Human Values Award ($500), Katheryne B. Willock Library Research Award--up to 3 undergraduate and 3 graduate prizes ($1,000 per prize), BIO5 Innovator Award--1 undergraduate and 1 graduate ($350 per prize).