Source: This doctoral fellowship was established by a gift from Dr. John W. and Mrs. Margaret Harshbarger to the University of Arizona.
Eligibility: Open to outstanding second-year full-time graduate students in the Department of Hydrology and Water Resources, now known as the Department of Hydrology and Atmospheric Sciences, who are enrolled in the Ph.D. degree program with a major in Hydrology (HYD) or Water Resources Administration (WRA), now known as the major in Hydrology and Water Resources (HWRS) as the separate major in WRA no longer exists. Students enrolled in their final or penultimate semester in residence at the time of application are not eligible. (Awards are made for the following Academic Year.)
Current Application Process:
- Each year the Fellowship will be announced by the department, generally in January (for the following Academic Year). Applicants must use the electronic application system to submit their qualifications and any supporting material (see the Hydrology and Atmospheric Sciences Scholarship Opportunities website for details).
- At a minimum, applicants may expect to submit the following (please note page maximum for each category): a Statement of Career Goals and Financial Need, a CV or Resume, and any other required material (e.g. FAFSA, UA International Financial Need form, supporting documents, letters of recommendation). Note: All GradPath forms must be up-to-date.
- The department head will review the applications and may consult with a) the applicants' advisors, b) referees who have submitted letters of recommendcation supporting individual applicants, and/or c) members of the Academic Committee which has oversight of scholarship and fellowship and scholarship awards.
- The recipient will be announced in late spring with the award to be disbursed in the subsequent Academic Year (split between Fall and Spring semesters).
- No awards will be made during the summer months (non-Academic Year) or backdated for the current Academic Year (at time of application).
- This is a one-time only award and cannot be renewed. The recipient will not be eligible to receive a subsequent award regardless of funding availability or the recipient's longevity in the degree program.
Original Application Process:
- Each year the Fellowship will be advertised by the department during the month of September. Prospective candidates will apply in writing to the department head stating their qualifications.
- During the month of October, the department head will review the applications and may consult with the applicants' advisors and with other faculty members. A recipient of the Fellowship will be nominated and the nomination transmitted through the College Dean to the University Office of Scholarships and Financial Aids.
- The Director of the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aids will announce the recipient of the Fellowship during the first half of the month of November.
- During the last week of classes of the Fall semester, the Fellowship will be awarded to the recipient in a ceremony in which Dr. and Mrs. Harshbarger will be invited to participate.
- This is a one-time only award and cannot be renewed. The recipient will not be eligible to receive a susbsequent award regardless of funding availability or the recipient's longevity in the degree program.